Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Without You"

aka "Ashley met Anthony Rapp then dragged Nick to a musical"



For those who don't know me too well, I'm a die-hard RENT-head. RENT is easily my favorite musical. The original Mark was in town for just three weeks performing at the Menier Chocolate Factory Theatre in the London Bridge area. 

It was a solo show based on his book A Memior of Love, Loss, and the Musical 'RENT'.  I went to see the show alone, and it was absolutely amazing. It starts in 1994 when Anthony was working at a Starbucks. He shares his story of going to the audition for Rent, getting cast and the workshop and opening week including the death of Jonathan Larson. The portions of the show when he tells of the opening night tribute to Jonathan, as well as the loss of his own mother brought tears to my eye. I've heard the story of the opening night tribute told over and over, but hearing it straight from his mouth was breathtaking. 

The set was small and the theatre was intimate. It allowed to be able to see every facial expression which was good, but bad for those of us in the audience trying to hide our tears.


After the show he came into the bar and took the time to meet every single fan who was still around. I had met him once before so I told him I didn't need an autograph but would appreciate an updated photo. He was nice enough to take a moment from his conversation with his personal friends to get the photo with me before I left. He's without doubt one of the most down to Earth people I've ever met. It definitely made my night! 



No comments:

Post a Comment